Maytag Neptune FAV6800 AWW Error Code PreviousNext
Appliance Tech\'s Private Board > Ask a Pro About your Appliance > Archive through June 17, 2009 >
Message/Author
Next message Mrs. Anderson (Unregistered Guest)  Unregistered guest
 posted on Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 4:53 pm
Edit Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)
hi-I am getting code DC on my Maytag Neptune FAV6800 AWW. for two weeks prior to this I was noticing that the clothes were a little more wet than they should have been when set on "max extract". Can anyone tell me what this codes means?
Next message Norman Hochfeld  Member Level 3
 posted on Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 8:14 pm Post Number: 1142 Registered: 10-2006
Mrs. Anderson (Unregistered Guest)

I am sorry to hear about the problem with your Neptune TL.

This is not a regular top opening clothes washer and it does not work like one or can be operated like one. You are dealing with a front loading washer designed as a top loader in disguise. I'll bet you thought you were buying an expensive top loading washer, but, you should have guessed that there was something strange about it when you looked inside.

The next time you have it repaired have the technician operate it for you with the top up (lid down) with some clothes so you can really see what is going on in there. It is amazing to watch the wash get clean in only a bucketfull of water. Oops! are you using he type soap in there? Too much suds will goof up the works and not rinse out of the clothes!

I do not know what your exact problem is now and I can only speculate on it because I am not there. You have been aware that this machine will not spin out a small unbalanced load. Well, it will not spin out any imbalanced load. The clothes must all be of the same type and bulkiness. They must be laid flat and carefully placed into the washer and never exceed the level of the spinners (white things). You cannot wash comforters or anything that is bulky and higher than the spinners.

If you have been having problems all along with this machine I would think about of replacing the machine with another unit that will suit your needs. If we are to help you on this board we will need to know how strong you are with mechanical and electrical troubleshooting. This unit is not a good unit for a novice technician much less an end user. We will need the exact serial number for the unit also as there have been many revisions during production.

ERROR CODE "dc" is displayed due to the following:

During the spin cycle an unbalanced load prevented the washer from spinning.

The customer is asked to manually rotate the load so it is more prone to be balanced and press "Start/Pause" to try the spin cycle again.

Now there are some mechanical malfunctions that cause the error codes to set and the remedies are expensive.

But, In my experience the customer is not sorting and laying the clothes in properly and in an adequate but not too much amount to achieve a balance when the machine spins out.

Please pull out your manual and watch the tape or CD. It is important that the load be balanced by the same type and nature of the clothes, such as terrycloth towels and stuff, or all percale sheets, or polyester and cotton permanent press, etc. And further they must be carefully laid in flat.

Remember!!! To many clothes and two few are a No, No! Too many different thicknesses or types of clothes will cause imbalances. Using more than the "medium load" of "he" soap or not using "he" soap at all will over-suds the machine and provide the incorrect amount of water.

You can go to http://www.tide.com/en_US/he/index.jsp and read all about "he" detergents. Remember this machine REQUIRES this type of soap.

Try running the cycles in the fashion I have outlined in this posting. If the errors go away then I hit the nail on the head. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

If my suggestions did not help then I recommend you do call a technician but, be very sure he is familiar with Neptune TL's and not just Neptunes in general. The "TL" is a specialty item.

Good Luck,

Norm
 posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 12:07 am
goodness Norm, that is so much information! This washer has been good to me for years really! It averages about 1000 loads of laundry per year (6 children!) and has never given me a moments trouble until two weeks ago. In honesty, I wash all sorts of things, mixed up; don't use HE soap (only a tiny bit of regular); and I have indeed washed many a comforter in it!

I can honestly say that if this machine is on it's last legs, it has been of great service to me. I will not begin treating it with kid gloves now after so many years of blatant (apparently lol) abuse. This mom is dying for a red LG set and continuing to treat this one so poorly might help me out

your information is much appreciated!
Next message Scott Wolf  Member Level 2
 posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 12:11 am Post Number: 342 Registered: 10-2002
Mrs. Anderson, take out the extended warranty if you buy the LG set and make sure you ONLY use HE detergent in the LG washer.
Who worked on this before me?
 posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 2:01 am Post Number: 1144 Registered: 10-2006
NO LG PLEASE!!!! I know your dying for one but they use less water than the one you have and break down accordingly. The parts are made in China and the units are assembled in Korea and China.

Please think about WHIRLPOOL DUET. DON'T BUY FOR THE COLOR. BUY FOR THE VALUE AND QUALITY. CANADA OVER CHINA PLEASE!

I wish you would go to the Tide site and check out the benefits of "he" soap in these low water units.

Here is how to tell if I'm correct. Make sure the drain hose is in the wash tubs so you can see what is coming out.

Then, run the rinse and spin cycle over and over until there is no soap suds coming in the wash tubs. The unit should spin out fine with nothing inside once you start getting clear water.

Take a load of clean towels from your linen closet and put them in the machine to wash. Set the cycle for "Rinse and Spin." Stop the machine after 5 minutes of agitating after the water stopped. Open the lid. If there is a considerable amount of soap suds in there your stuff has become soap bound because the soap never rinsed out. See the info on the Tide site for more info. You can also now see plenty of soap suds coming out into the wash tubs after it was clear.

You can wash your clothes without any soap to get rid of the buildup in your clothes, at least 2 to 3 times.

With the load of towels carefully laid in the unit will finish and spin out the clothes. You should have no codes set.

If it does not spin out... wait! It may try 5 to 10 times in order to get a good balance and spin out the water or the code will set. Once the soap is flushed out give it a try. It should be fine for awhile.

If you have washed that many loads and the unit does not spin out consistently, without any clothes, you may need an overhaul with a new clutch, suspension parts, and/or maybe an out-of-balance sensor as you have "abused" it for so many loads.

I go to homes with this unit every week and find the customer's are amazed that they never knew how it worked and once were shown were just shocked that there was nothing actually wrong with the unit but the loading and the soaping. This machine will not work well if you forget how to properly operate it over time.

There is no deep rinse to flush out the soap from the clothes. At the stop of the wash agitation, the clothes are flung against the basket walls during a slow spin with water. If there is any imbalance detected or the tub hits the sides the cabinet, the unit will go through a shuffle cycle to shuffle the clothes then try again. Your code is setting because you were not able to get a balanced load after trying several times.

I can only disagree with you on your perception that the unit was washing well. Stuff a comforter into a 5 gallon pail of water and see how much rinse action and wash action you really can have. But, you are the customer and I am a cranky old service guy.

Try what I suggested, and see if it works well for you, let's say for the next 50 loads. Please post the results and whether or not you had a service call and that result. Please read the information at the Tide HE site.

Good Luck

Norm
 posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 8:28 am
wow, ok LG haters, I promise to fully research my purchase before pulling the trigger. Scouts honor! So far though, it appears as though my current washer is doing fine (bummer)
 posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 11:01 am Post Number: 1146 Registered: 10-2006
Mrs. Anderson (Unregistered Guest)

This tech board is made up of service professionals from the USA and around the world. We are the guys that are called when your unit fails to meet your expectations after it is delivered.

I can assure you that no consumer research publications you can read will know about the performance and quality and ease of service of a unit, more than us.

Keep us in mind before you buy. I hope that you can get the excess soap from the machine and it lasts for your needs.

I ask you to view the Tide HE link and take in all of the information as to why you should be using "he" soap. Please go over the clothes sorting and loading procedures in the VHS tape or DVD that you received.

Good luck and God Bless:

Norm
 posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 6:55 pm
just an update! I junked the machine after 4729847298 more times of getting it to drain the SAME load. I ended up the the Duet after Consumer Reports research. I was just about to post it on craigslist for parts when I could not remember the error code it was giving me and a google search brought me back to this thread. I replaced it a few months back and it's been sitting in my garage.
Next message Scott Wolf  Member Level 2
 posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 8:20 pm Post Number: 461 Registered: 10-2002
When I worked for Maytag Factory Service, we used to call the Maytag Neptune TL the "clothes shredder" or the "orange juicer". LOL
Who worked on this before me?
 posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 2:40 pm
Well then I suppose I should feel lucky to have gotten so many years of service out of it
Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: