Samsung RS2556SH Flashing Freezer light PreviousNext
Appliance Tech\'s Private Board > Ask a Pro About your Appliance > Archive through June 17, 2009 >
Message/Author
Next message marina-dobbie (Unregistered Guest)   Unregistered guest
 posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 12:02 am
Edit Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)
Hello. I just came upstairs to discover the freezer light of our approximately 4yo Samsung model RS2556SH side-by-side refrigerator flashing. We have had no power surges or outages that I am aware of, nothing appears to be out of the ordinary with any other electronics in the house.

Steps taken so far: After consulting the "troubleshooting" portion of our owner's manual, I Googled. From there I learned I should try unplugging the refrigerator to reset the computer. That's got the fridge portion cooling (hadn't indicated it was warming, but there you go), but it now shows the freezer to be at 41F.
Tried resetting by pressing the power cool and power freeze buttons simultaneously for five seconds, again to reset the computer. Which, it did, but the freezer's not freezing, it's just stuck at 41F.
Thanks for any help.
Next message Roy Murray  Moderator or Asst Administrator
 posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 12:21 am Post Number: 1569 Registered: 10-2001

> Some more then just reseting the computer is wrong. In this case with all the electronics its going to require a tech that knows samsung.
The nice thing about Windows is - It does not just crash, it displays a dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.
Next message marina-dobbie (Unregistered Guest)   Unregistered guest
 posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 1:12 am
That's what we're figuring. Our problem is that we live in the boonies, even just getting a good haircut requires a major trip to a "major" city. Thanks for the information. If we find that our local appliance shop doesn't know anything about Samsung, then I suppose we'll contact Samsung directly. Or... maybe we'll be buying a Kenmore soon. Thanks.
 posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 1:25 am Post Number: 1573 Registered: 10-2001

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/repaironline/supportOnlineServiceRequest.do
The nice thing about Windows is - It does not just crash, it displays a dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.
Next message John Karr (Unregistered Guest)  Unregistered guest
 posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 2:48 pm
Side by side refrigerator model Samsung RS2577SW.
Frige and freezer stopped working after a power failure . only one segment of display flashing.
Need possible causes and remedy. and also where to find a suitable service manual to download
Next message Pegi  Moderator or Asst Administrator
 posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 3:01 pm Post Number: 1052 Registered: 8-2004

Hi John, we cannot provide manuals to non-techs. However which section is flashing tells you which sensor has failed in the frig., so exactly which section is flashing...
Serving North Central Texas & Southern Oklahoma since 1978.
samsservicesenter.com
Next message Bob Smith (Unregistered Guest)   Unregistered guest
 posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 12:18 pm
We replaced the water filter in our Samsung RS5425SH refrigerator, but the change filter indicator light remains on. What's wrong?
 posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 5:54 pm Post Number: 1843 Registered: 10-2001

> You have to reset it, the instructions are in your owners manual.
Next message Doug Craig (Unregistered Guest)  Unregistered guest
 posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 6:38 pm
Same problem as John above. Different model: RS2530BSH (side by side)
Power failure.
When frig came back on the middle segment of the five Freezer temperature bars was flashing.
Called Samsung but there is no service in our area (metro Detroit!).
Any clue as to what the single flashing bar indicates ?
Is it a sensor I can replace ?

A quick reply would be great given that all my TV dinners are thawing
Thanks!
Next message Norman Hochfeld  Member Level 2
 posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 10:27 pm Post Number: 968 Registered: 10-2006
Doug Craig (Unregistered Guest)

I am sorry to hear about your refrigerator. You have not told me how long you have had this unit. It had only a 1 year warranty. There are independent service companies in the Metro Detroit area that can help you. You just need to call around and see who will work on Samsung.

Calling Samsung will only give you the available factory authorized warranty companies in your area. Unfortunately you should call and independent and send Samsung the bill if in warranty.

I read the reply to the post you have talked about and your selection of a control board rather than a sensor to replace... they said it was a sensor and you replaced the control. Obviously you do not have any knowledge in this area or read the post carefully. "However which section is flashing tells you which sensor has failed in the frig."

Please, get a professional to look at it for you or just buy a new refrigerator if your food is spoiling and you can't wait. Can't your selling dealer help you or was it a home center discounter. Have you tried there?

Good Luck,

Norm
Next message Doug Craig (Unregistered Guest)  Unregistered guest
 posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 11:03 pm
Thanks Norm.
I will check independents as well as through Best Buy (where I purchased unit).
It's almost 2 years old, so out of warranty (unless problem is with refrigeration system - that's 5 years).

BTW it wasn't me that replaced the control board... guess you didn't "read the post carefully"
I was just hoping someone with manuals (Pegi or others) could point to the sensor given which light was flashing. I'm perfectly capable of replacing a sensor (electronics background) if I know which one and can get my hands on the part. Otherwise I'll let the professionals handle it.

Thanks again.
Doug
 posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 11:13 pm Post Number: 1285 Registered: 8-2004

Which segment exactly is flashing ???
Moderator & Assistant Admin. for Servicetechhelp Association.Inc.

www.servicetechhelp.com
 posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 11:31 pm Post Number: 1286 Registered: 8-2004

If it is the middle section on the freezer side that is horizontal I would call for service, looks like it means "comm error". There would not be any sensor that you could replace and these units are quite complicated. Please call for service from someone who has training on these units..
Moderator & Assistant Admin. for Servicetechhelp Association.Inc.

www.servicetechhelp.com
 posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 11:51 pm Post Number: 1964 Registered: 10-2001

> If you can not find somebody who will work on this, go back to the dealer. BestBuy is suppost to be trained to provide service to them if they sell them. Best Buy is a self servicing dealer.
Next message Norman Hochfeld  Member Level 2
 posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 12:06 am Post Number: 970 Registered: 10-2006
Doug---

I'm sorry if I missed whom replaced what. There are 3 sensors located throughout the unit.

One in the fridge ares, one in the freezer area, and one in the evaporator area behind a panel. You can purchase a Service Manual from Samsung and get all of the scoop. We can only provide literature to our paid members.

I think Pegi is looking up the info we can give you about which sensor but we need to know the exact position of the flashing bar. Please describe the exact view you are observing including all indicators that are on or off and I'm sure we will try to assist you.

I'm suprised that you did not call Best Buy first. They have a complete major appliance service department and usually try to sell you an extended warranty when you buy the unit. Now, I guess you should know now why you should have invested in an extended service plan. They include limited food loss coverage in there too!

But anyway, you can always trash this unit and purchase a unit that has a "better" name but the same thing could happen with any appliance in today's global economy.

Get back to us with the exact model and serial numbers from the label inside the fridge along with the date of manufacture if you need better information.

Hopes this helps.
Norm
Next message Chicks (Unregistered Guest)   Unregistered guest
 posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 7:41 am
Hello everyone!

I am having a similar issue on my Samsung. Here's the details from inside the fridge door:
Model: RS2556SH
Power: 115V/60Hz
Compressor: MK183C-L20
BOM: RS2556SH/XAA

The digital temp readout for the freezer is flashing. It is leaking water, and there is substantial frost buildup and sheets of ice at the bottom. The ice in the ice maker had frozen solid.
A few times in the past, the fan locked up due to ice and i was able to restore it with a blow dryer and some patience. I did technique last week but it seems like it didn't work this time.
My own personal theory is the fan died. It did not spin after I de-iced and replugged it back in. At least I hope that's what it is, since a fan would be cheaper to replace than a whole fridge, but what the heck do I know?
Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: